Saturday, July 24, 2010

Amish Puzzle

In the spring the Fat Quarter Shop had a huge sale. HUGE. The kind of sale that’s not bad on the bank account. I ordered my first quilt kit during that event. I had thoughts of Christmas presents, at a discount!

The kit I ordered was an Amish Puzzle Quilt using Moda Cross Weave fabric. In May I started working on a few quilts to be used on the altar at Annual Conference (a regional United Methodist event). I needed something for the Memorial Service and thought this quilt would be wonderful. The fabric included in the kit was the entire fat quarter pack of Cross Weave so there were all varieties of colors (bright, muted, soft, loud)…just like us. And woven together in a quilt was the perfect reflection for how we are all connected. I thought it was ideal for a memorial.

When I started laying out the blocks, I hated it. There were too many colors and I didn’t appreciate some of my combinations. I arranged and rearranged. Nothing worked. Finally I decided to just go for it. As it turned out, this has become my favorite quilt I’ve made thus far. The design/coloring is perfect for my living room and the Cross Weave fabric is super soft. And there was enough fabric in the fat quarter pack for a second (albeit a little smaller) quilt…a great Christmas gift for my aunt and uncle.
Here it is on the altar at Annual Conference.



No comments:

Post a Comment